Wednesday, October 5, 2011

October 1: A Birthday Wish Granted

This was our last day in Medellin so we spent the morning packing.  It was a hot day - walking out into the heat I wished outloud that it would rain.  After a breakfast of arepas, scambled eggs and cheese and freshly squeezed juice, we walked to one of our favorite places in Medellin: the Botanical Gardens.  There, we saw a nearly 5-foot-long iguana - so close that I was only inches away when I reached out to try to touch him!  Okay, it´t not my birthday yet, but I wanted to celebrate early with some cake and coffee (aka fika in Sweden!)  And my wish came true - rain!  I learned quite quickly that when it rains here in Colombia, ir pours.  But it is never cold!  We sat outside under an umbrella, sipping our small coffees and listening to the rain.  Then came the thunder and lightening!  By the time we got back to Jesko´s apartment we were completely soaked.  We took a cab to the airport.  The driver showed us a CD he bought the day before - Nirvana.  I had Jesko tell him that Nirvana was from my city and his face brightened with a smile.  So here I was,in a cab, in Colombia, in a thunderstorm, listening to Nirvana.  It brought me back to Seattle and I started to get nostalgic.  It was one of those magical, random moments that cannot be planned.  A great way to start October. 

That night, at the airport, we met an Austrian who was flying to Cartagena on our flight.  He lives there and recommended some places for us to stay.  We even shared a taxi into town. And yesterday - four days later - we ran into him again at the same breakfast spot!

Checking into a hotel was interesting.  First, they had a room for us, but it wasn´t ready yet.  We were told it would be ready in an hour so we decided to go find some dinner.  We came back an hour later and the room still wasn´t ready so we met up with a professor of history at the University of Cartagena - a German man, and a contact that Jesko was given from his professor in Germany.  When we came back it was early in the morning.  The woman working there gave us the key - but the key didn´t open the door!  It appeared to be locked from the inside!  We got her and she pounded on the door for minutes before a young man with red, blurry eyes answered.  I´m not sure of the words exchanged but no one seemed to be taking anything very serioiusly.  The young man walked back to his respective room and the woman changed out the sheets again and washed the floor.  The bed wasn´t so comfy and it was too hot to sleep with a sheet.  When I woke up the next day i had bites all over my legs and feet.  I seem to be allergic because there aren´t so many mosquitos here and Jesko hasn´t been bit too much.  Le sigh!  There´s always something, right?  Oh well, the following days welcomed new adventures.  More later! 

No comments:

Post a Comment