After a plane, a taxi, two buses and some hitchhiking we made it to Canyon Rio Claro, a nature reserve park. Set up camp, dropped off our valuables at the front gate with the guard, went for a walk, borrowed some lifevests and then drifted down the river back to our campsite.
That night, we bought a flashlight, some coke for the rum, chocolate and a candle. Dozens of frogs and fireflies surrounded our campsite. The river and the frogs chirping were the sounds that we fell asleep to - and the thunder is what woke us up in the middle of the night with lightening so bright it looked like daylight. Our tent flooded a little at our feet but it was still plenty warm in the tent.
October 8
Saturday was a super adventure day that included hiking in the jungle, swimming in the river, exploring caves, and climbing down a waterfall. Anyone who has been to the Rainforest exhibit at the Woodland Park Zoo would understand the feeling of being in Rio Claro; the air is warm and muggy, colorful, tropical plants everywhere, even leafcutter ants carrying bits of leaves to and from their dwelling.
On our hike, we met lots of little frogs, butterflies - including those beautiful blue ones - and angry ants. Seirously, when these ants bite, they don't let go! I literally had to beat one off with a stick - which I felt sort of bad about but that's what it took to get the little bugger off me! They even tore part of my shoe off! Truth.
The cave tour was awesome! It was way more extreme than I thought it would be. We had to wear lifevests and hard hats - that should've been my first sign. It took about an hour and a half to hike to the cave - which included crossing the river with a rope to pull one's self to the other side. There was mostly ankle-to-knee-deep water throughout the cave but in other cases, we had to jump into deep pools to get through. Oh, did I mention we were not alone? Guácharos make the caves their home, and they did not sound happy to have visitors. Their screech is so loud and pretty creepy. It didn't help that our guide said if you point the flashlights up at them they will get confused and fall. After that, I kept thinking one would fall on me! The cave opens up abover the river, creating a small waterfall, which we had to climb down then use another rope to get ourselves across. Dinner that night was sandwiches we made with cucumber, red pepper, carrots and cheese - chocolate for dessert!
October 9
We were told that finding a bus to Bogota - the capital of Colombia - would be easy, but maybe the fact that it was a Sunday made finding transportation a little more difficult? It took two buses and some waiting around to get to Bogota but it actually worked out. We were able to explore a nearby town while we waited for the next bus. We had chichas,I tasted my very first empanada, and I bought a hammock which will fare well in future travels and the Peace Corps. A bus to Bogota arrived a little after 13h. What luxury - big comfy seats that lean back with armrests, air conditioning and there was even a bathroom onboard! Little did I know, however, that even these comforts couldn't prevent the nasty affects the high altitude switchbacks and bumpy roads had on me. A hellish ride indeed. I was so happy to get off that bus - to find myself in Bogota!
Here we are staying with a friend of a friend. Last night we had an impromptu dance party in which I got to show off my moves and impress everybody - salsa, cumbia, bachata, you name it!
October 10
The apartment we are staying at is lovely! It's on the 15th floor of a highrise, large windows, two levels, THREE bathrooms and hot water. Today I took my first hot shower in 12 days!
Jesko and I visited an underground cathedral in a salt mine. It was as awesome as it sounds - pretty awesome right? Totally. We met a couple from Hawaii who had just flown into Colombia today! We took the tour and then had dinner together.
Tomorrow, my flight leaves for New York at 23h20. And then, I'll be Seattlebound! Landing on that
Wednesday morning! Legit!!! Story time Wednesday night!
ReplyDelete