In the Celtic tradition, a thin place/moment descibes a location/event when one senses the line between the ordinary and extraordinary thins. The ordinary becomes sacred.
Last night, I had a thin moment, but first, a little history.
In 1899, Sir Edward Elgar dedicated a piece called the Enigma Variations to "my friends pictured within". There is one special variation, "Nimrod" that portrays a close friend of Elgar. Today, it is a beloved piece played at memorial services.
Two years ago (yesterday), I performed the Enigma Variations under the baton of Arthur Shaw. When we came to Nimrod, I silently dedicated the piece to grand-père, who I knew was dying. After the concert, a very special friend drove me home to say my final good-bye. Grand-père had died earlier that night, as I was playing these variations. Ever since, this piece has held a great emotional effect on me. I reflect on loss, and cherish my loved ones.
Last night - the two year anniversary of grand-père's death - I played the Enigma Variations again, this time with the Rainier Symphony Orchestra. During Nimrod, the music took me to that thin place. There's no other description for it ; absolute and sacred - love. Love of those lost but are forever with us.
Here's to those people who have touched our lives so profoundly: Nimrod (click on "Nimrod" to listen to the piece)
No comments:
Post a Comment