I have a love/hate relationship with tropical rain. Love that it's warm, love the sound it makes, love the smell. Hate that it has to pour while I'm riding my bike along a busy highway - think Aurora with no sidewalk! Joseph and I got soaked all the way through.
But even as I write this - still a little damp with a towel wrapped around my waist - the sun is starting to come out. The birds are singing. The breeze, warm.
A couple days ago, we had an absolutely beautiful, sunny day - one that you would expect while in Hawai'i. Joseph and I decided to rent a couple bikes for a few days and found a clear-blue bay to take a swim.
Yesterday, we celebrated the reason the seven of us are all here - Mike's birthday! Marjorie made everyone macadamia nut pancakes with coconut syrup for breakfast. After a birthday cheers we all walked to the beach and took a swim in the Pacific. Imagine, swimming out, not being able to touch the bottom with your feet, but when you look, you can see the sand and coral below. It was raining and we were the only ones on the beach. I love swimming in the rain, being surrounded by millions of raindrops as they hit the surface of the ocean.
Our house is just a stone's throw away from the beach. A many beautiful thing can be seen from this beach. It's a pretty nice spot to watch the sunset and yesterday, Joseph and I saw a small pod of humpback whales.
At night, with the windows open, we fall asleep to crickets chirping. Every morning, we wake up to the songs of tropical birds.
It's nice to not to live by a schedule. To take a step back and truly live in the moment. This trip, more than any other I've taken, has been convalescent.
In many ways, O'ahu reminds me of Orcas Island. Being near saltwater, living on island time, the rural, laid back atmosphere of North Shore. And yet, coconut trees take the place of evergreens. Such a beautiful change of pace and scenery.
No comments:
Post a Comment