Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Cultus Creek Camping and White Water Rafting!



















Last weekend, we went camping with friends in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest at a secluded campsite near Cultus Creek.  Best camping trip ever.  I mean, I don't go camping that often, but even I could tell how lucky we were to get this campsite. There were thirteen of us total, and we had space for all our cars, tents, chairs and three tables, with room to spare! 

Joe and I arrived Saturday evening, just in time for salmon and veggie kabob dinner.  We had plenty of wood for a big cozy campfire and s'mores.  Games were played into the night and when it was very dark, we walked to a small clearing to star gaze.  We turned off our flashlights and laid on or backs and watched meteors streak across the sky.  On the way back, we found some toads hanging out along the path. 

Saturday night was special, but Sunday was awesome.  After breakfast, we packed up camp and caravaned to the town of Husum to raft the White Salmon River!  Unfortunately, I do not have pictures - cameras and phones do not like being splashed and submerged in 40 degree glacier water - but if you click on the link "White Salmon River!" above, you will be directed to the site of the company we rafted with and get a better idea of what I'm describing.  Note, cold water.  Very cold water - it melts from glaciers on Mount Adams -so we had to suit up in the special gear they provided; wetsuit, booties, splash guard, life jacket and helmet.  Yes, helmet - just in case you fell overboard and crashed into some angry rocks and despite many opportunities, no one was hurt.    

The coolest part for me on this trip was the chance to escape from the patterns of life which we all sometimes fall into and try new things, like shoot my friend's pellet gun, and overcome my fear of heights by jumping off a twenty-something-foot cliff and rafting myself down a waterfall! 

At the end of the day I feel tired but accomplished.

     


No comments:

Post a Comment