My last post was in August but it seems like AGES ago. There is so much to cover so I'm just going to get right to it!
Most of you already know this, but Joseph and I are currently honeymooning in France. I've been uploading some pictures on my Instagram account (jordiebea) but decided to document more in depth on this good ol' blog of mine so I promise to update more often!
We are currently staying in Cannes, France and have spent most of our time here relaxing in the sun on the beach or in the garden, taking walks to and from the grocery store about every other day but yesterday was different.
It has been four years since I studied abroad in Aix-en-Provence and I was eager to show Joseph my old stomping grounds but most importantly, to introduce him to my French mom, Marie-Francoise. So yesterday morning, we drove west to Aix-en-Provence to pay a special visit to MF. It was incredibly special to reunite with her. I was happy to see that nothing much had changed, besides the new address. And we were both very pleased to discover - as we caught up with each others news - that I had preserved my French! But I promise we didn't leave Joe out of the conversation. Every once in awhile, MF would remind me to translate and towards the end - after we'd all had a few glasses of rose - she started speaking in English for Joe! This was news to me because she never spoke English before but I am grateful because it improved my French.
After lunch, the three of us took a quick bus ride to the center of Aix and gave Joe a walking tour! It was a beautiful day; the sky was bright blue and the buildings, golden in the sun. I love Aix from the narrow, cobblestone streets, to the open plazas shaded with chestnut trees to the forty-two fountains scattered throughout the city. And when I say city, I mean, it's some happy medium between a town and a city. There's plenty of boutiques but there are no skyscrapers. Aix is also very pedestrian friendly so there isn't much car noise and traffic. The air is clean and walking down a street, you might catch a whiff of lavender and freshly made soap, when you turn the corner you smell warm bread and fresh cheeses. It's absolutely a delight for the senses.
While in Aix, MF treated us to the best macarons ever and stopped at a cafe that roasts their own beans on location - because she knew it would tickle Joe's fancy. Joe said it was the best coffee he's had in France, and I would have to agree, though we did bring some Ladro beans and our aeropress and Joe's been making some great coffee every morning too. ;) It was MF's appreciation for good espresso that got me hooked on coffee four years ago. It was hard for awhile when I got back to the states. Don't get me wrong, coffee is good in Seattle, but only if you know where to look. Then I met Joe and he fulfilled my need for good coffee. :)
MF asked us if we'd like to stay for dinner and how could we say no? Dining at MF's is very special indeed. She makes everything from scratch and her cuisine is perfectly Provencal. Dinner is probably the most important meal of the day at MF's. She cooks with love, and when the sun sets, she lights all the candles in and around the living and dining room. We don't eat until everyone is home and everyone dines together, around the table. And there are courses. First a salad or soup, then the main course, and then dessert. Last night dessert was very Provencal. Earlier in the day, we stopped at the bakery and got three different kinds of bread; one with olives, one with raisins and one with figs, We also stopped by the fromagerie where the lady there helped MF choose five different goat cheeses to sample for dessert. To taste with the cheese there was honey and three different kinds of jam - all homemade - one strawberry, one apricot and one made with melon, vanilla and mint! It was extraordinary!
Besides the food of course, what I love most about dinner at MF's are the people I share it with. MF always hosts foreign students, all of varying levels, nationalities, and age. It was a wonderful experience while I studied abroad to have at least three different countries represented around the table each night. Last night, there was a woman from New York with bright pink hair, a man from Sweden, an older man from Denmark and a young woman from Spain. The seven of us, with at least one shared language. How cool is that?
Dinner lasted well into the evening. It was getting late and we had a long drive ahead of us. I decided to take the highway instead of the freeway because of the tolls. You think our tolls are bad at home? How about 15 euros? So yeah, no more freeway for me. I'll take the highway any day! Well, maybe... I mean, it did add an hour or so onto the drive and most of the drive was in complete darkness as most roads are not lit... so I mean, I guess the freeway has some perks. But we did see a wild boar on the way home! So that's another reason to take the highway I guess! :)
Guess what time we got home. If you guessed 1:30am, then you're right! We were tired as can be but oh so happy. Happy to have spent the day in such a wonderful way with some of my two favorite people.
^ Fresh figs ^
^ We also visited where I went to school! This is the courtyard as you walk in ^
^ picking out the cheeses for dessert ^
^ this fromagerie specialized in goat cheese. i never knew there were so many different kinds! ^
^ nothing says aix like bottles of rose chilling in a fountain ^
chez MF
Sounds like such a perfect day! Thanks for sharing this, I feel like I was right there with you. Oh how I miss goat cheese! I'm so happy for the two of you and it sounds like your honeymoon was perfect :D xoxo
ReplyDelete