That view! It's still hard for me to believe but that's the view from the deck where we stayed on Maui last week. I found this sweet little bungalow on airbnb.com. It was perfectly located on Maui's quiet north shore, away from the resorts and traffic and surrounded by Maui's natural beauty. A tranquil, tropical getaway. The property had orchards of passion fruit, coconut, papaya, mango, lemons, limes, grapefruit, avocados and obscure fruits like soursop and jackfruit! A freshly picked fruit basket waited for us when we arrived and we were told we could pick whatever we liked throughout the week! The place came with a little kitchen, even a juicer and a blender! So we were making fresh fruit juice & smoothies all week. :) Below are some pictures of the grounds. On our first morning, I woke up at sunrise (thank you jet-lag!) grabbed my camera and took a walk in the orchard. It felt like our own personal Garden of Eden.
Passionfruit aka liliko'i in Hawaiian.
Sunrise
I hadn't ever seen a soursop before. It tasted like a tangy pina-colada.
Cotton candy clouds at dusk.
Although our North Shore Maui bungalow was fairly secluded, it was still close to many of the places we wanted to explore on the island. Located just off the scenic Road to Hana, we were only two miles from Twin Falls, a 15 minute drive to surfer town Paia, and a short 30 minutes to Baldwin Beach (my favorite beach on Maui!) Below are some pictures from our adventures on the northeast side of the island, including the famous Road to Hana!
The Road to Hana. Put this on your bucket list. Rent a jeep, put the top down and drive.
So good.
Twin Falls is a very popular swimming hole!
Jagged lava rock shore Ke'anae Beach
Lot's a bridges, lot's of waterfalls, lot's of places to pull over and explore.
Now, before you get the impression that we had the perfect vacation (is that even possible?) If you look closely, you'll see the mosquitoes found me quite delicious. If that's not bad enough, I'm also allergic to them so each mosquito bite got swollen and red. This was on the second day! The SECOND DAY! And I was wearing bug spray the entire time! But it was the good, healthy, nice, natural bug spray that apparently doesn't work on Maui mosquitoes. :( Joseph refused to see me go through such torture so we took a trip to the drugstore to buy the super powerful, not-so-good-for-you bug spray and that worked for the rest of the trip! And after icing my bites and taking some good ol' Benadryl, my legs were pretty clear and I could really enjoy my days at the beach!
While looking up cool places to go to in Maui a few months ago, I saw pictures of the Bamboo Forest and thought, okay, we have to go here. I'm so glad we found it! Such a mysterious and beautiful place.
Waimoku Falls, a 400 ft waterfall in Haleakala National Park
Pit stop on the Road to Hana. Kalua Pork Tacos and Coconut Guava Smoothie - yes please!
Rainbow Eucalyptus Trees! I had to see it to believe it!
Joseph and our trusty jeep for 'sploring Maui.
One of the many (organic) fruit stands along the Road to Hana. The sign read "Bananas 6 for $1" DEAL!
Black sand beach and lava caves! It was pouring rain but who even cares?
It's Hawaii and like, 90 degrees.
Seven Sacred Pools. The water was brown from heavy rain and I was a little bummed that swimming was off limits due to flash floods. Oh well, next time, right?
Sleepy sea turtles making their way back to shore to take a snooze.
And finally, you wouldn't think I would post about a trip to Maui without some beach pics, would you? These were all taken at Baldwin Beach. It was nearby to from where we were staying so we went there on several occasions. I'll post more beaches later but this one was my favorite.
Thanks for following our trip to Maui! More soon on what we did on other parts of the island!
No comments:
Post a Comment