-f. scott fitzgerald
This quote rings true to me. Among other things, school and orchestra start up in the fall and I'm pulled back into a constant rhythm of responsibilities. I do love this time of year, but I find myself with fewer hours just to myself, and fewer hours to sit down and write. Yet on this drizzly Sunday morning, I'm sitting at my favorite coffee shop, Burien Press, listening to Miles Davis while my husband pulls shots of espresso and I type out some lingering summer memories. And by summer memories I mean Maui memories. I've already posted about our time exploring the Road to Hana, but there's still so much to share. So let's just jump right in, shall we?
As much as we loved our place on the north shore in Haiku, we did want to catch a decent sunset. So one day, we drove west, towards Lahaina. We took Kahekili Highway, stopping to see the Nakalele Blowhole and a cool heart-shape rock, and Kaanapali Beach. As cool as those places were, and as beautiful as the scenery was, I will never want to take that drive again. The rental company told us not to take it, and now I understand why. The map says highway, and it started out as one sure enough, but as we kept driving, the road narrowed, the lane lines disappeared and there was nowhere to turn around. We had a cliff on one side and a wall of rock on the other. There were times we had to back up to pull over to the tiniest of shoulders to let other cars pass going the opposite way. It was scary. Beautiful, but scary. Like I said, if I'm ever in Maui again, I will NOT do that drive again. But we survived and the rest of the day was peaceful. The landscape at the Nakalele Blowhole was like being on the moon (or as I imagine it would be like) ;) and Kaanapali Beach was gorgeous. I wish we had brought our scuba gear with us because the water was so calm. We didn't stay long though because we wanted to get to Lahaina. After hitting happy hour and some live music, we took a walk along Front Street. We found a park to pull out our beach chairs and enjoy the sunset. There were lots of families out too, watching their sons, daughters and neighbors surf. It was a beautiful night. Needless to say, we took a different way home because there was NO WAY we were going to do Kahekili in the dark. :)
Below are pictures from that day
Taken from the car while driving 5 miles and hour along the winding, narrow Kahekili Highway.
Nakalele
Joe taking a dip at Kaanapali Beach
Lahaina
Mai Tais because Hawaii, that's why.
No comments:
Post a Comment