Sunday, September 18, 2011

Granada: The Albaicín, Sacromonte and Tips on Getting Free Tapas

Said, buenas dias to Granada today shortly after 10h.  Best night of sleep in Spain so far.  Good thing too, because I walked all around the old Granada today - by "old" I mean the12th century by then the muslims were quite established here.  I quick history lesson: In 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue, right?  He came back from America with lots of wealth so it was later this year that the very Catholic king and queen of Spain looked at Granada - the last muslim stronghold - and decided they would take it.  The muslims had been living in the Andalucia for centuries but when the armies came for them, the Sultan handed over Granada without a fight to save his city from being destroyed. That is why, the moorish influences have been preserved.  The Albaicin is the muslim neighborhood - the old Granada.  All of the houses are as they were.  All the houses are painted white, to keep cool in the summer.  The streets are narrow and provide shade and act as wind tunnels.  There are also many houses built in caves.  There are over 800 people who live in cave houses in Granada because it gets up to 48 degrees celsius - that's about 118 degrees fahrenheit - in the summer and then in the wintertime it snows but the caves keep the same, warm temperature all the time. Today, I visited one of these cave-houses.  The man who lives there, gave me a tour of his 700 year old home and we meditated for peace - he is an ex-hippie and has travelled all over the world!  He gave me incense before I left.  I also went to the gypsy side of town - the Sacromonte neighborhood - where there is Flamenco every night.
Now, Granada is already like, the coolest place ever, but get this; anytime, anywhere, if you order a drink they give you free tapas!  So this is my tip: Go into any place you like, order a beer and they will also bring you something to eat, for free.  There, now you have a meal for 2 euro.  This is what I did for lunch and dinner. In between meals, I watched the sunset from the rooftop terrace at the hostel with a group of Aussies with guitars. Tonight, is my last night at this beautiful hostel.  Luckily, I have been accepted to stay with a man who lives a little out of town at the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains. There will be another young lady staying there too - she is from Switzerland.  He will meet me after he gets off work at 21h and then take me to his house.  Life is good.  Buenas noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment