Thursday, September 22, 2011

This Chica Needs to Learn How to Siesta

It is a 40 minute, hot, dusty walk to Padul from Alex's house.  I knew this, but decided it would be nice to get some groceries today.  I have no idea where the supermarket is but Padul is a small enough town, right?  Besides, I can ask for directions in Spanish - although I can rarely understand the directions that are then given.   Once I got into town there were very few people to ask.  One man said there were two supermarkets one this way and one that way.  I guess I chose the wrong way.  Even if I had found it though, it would've been closed anyway.  I'm still not used to this whole close-everything-down-at-two idea.  Guess what time I showed up into town?  Yeeeaaahhh.  I did, however, manage to find a small mini-mart place where I bought a baguette - and a Fanta naranja to defeat the heat.  By this time, the streets were totally deserted.  I felt like such a gringo, sipping my Fanta, defeated.  Then, a white feather floated by and the Forest Gump theme played in my head.  This tune was enough encouragement to leave the precious shade.  With only a baguette to show for my efforts, I headed home.  In retrospect, I should've gotten more bread, but there's always tomorrow.  Not exactly excited about making the trek again, but at least I know when not to go and thank goodness I have a pool to come home to.  Oh, glorious pool.  And music.  Music is a huge help to manage the emotions that magnify while travelling.  Feeling homesick?  I stream Classical KING.FM live online.  Anticipating Colombia?  I listen to Don Omar and Wisin Y Yandel.  Lonely?  Paula Fuga, Blind Pilot and  Lykke Li.  The list goes on.  It's either music or write; I'm doing both right now. 

It enhances my trip when I can share it with you here in this blog.  It keeps me mindful throughout the day.  And for those of you on Facebook, I love your notes.  Keep 'em coming, and I'll do the same. 

In other news, Alex's chickens laid four huevos today.  Omelettes tonight?

Oh!  And it's my birthday in a month!  Fun! 

Open poll:  What's worse?  A dorky sunglass sunburn or squinty, wrinkly eyes from the sun?  This is my dilemma. 

No comments:

Post a Comment