Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Rain In Spain...

... stays mainly in the plain!  How appropriate that it rains here on the first day of Autumn  - I saw that in Seattle it was actually sunny!  It has been so hot here, so this rain yesterday was refreshing. 

Today though, Mr. Sun is back.  Alex and I went out for breakfast.  He ordered me a typical Spanish morning meal - a cafe con leche, fresh squeezed orange juice, and a tostada.  A tostada is a toasted baguette.  They served it plain and brought out garlic, olive oil, tomato sauce, butter and jelly.  I peeled the fresh garlic, rubbed it on the toasted bread, drizzled the olive oil and then poured some of the tomato over the top.  Interesting to have garlic for the first meal, but it was so good! 

After our meal, we were ready to go walk around the laguna.  The dogs came with us.  We saw lots of crayfish, but unfortunately only the non-native species known as cangrejo americano.  Figs are in season and Alex picked us one each.  I'd never tasted a fresh fig before - delicious!  This is also the season for granadas, or pomegranate.  Tomorrow, we plan to take a hike in the mountains and Alex thinks there will be some to try there. 

Later this afternoon, we are going to a birthday party.  More later! 

No comments:

Post a Comment