Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Hola, Colombia!

A little about how I got here. Yesterday, at the bus station in Granada, I got the very last seat available to Madrid! The bus left at 2 am this morning. Alex and his dogs, Nube and Oezil, brought me to the bus station. It had been a week since we first met. The bus took 5 hours to the airport in Madrid. My flight left late this afternoon. It took 10 hours to get to Bogota then an hour flight to Medellin, but because I was going back in time, it's still the same day. That's a lot of travelling for one day.

Now, I'm in Medellin, Colombia! Before this trip, I hadn't ever heard of this city. It's large, about 3 million inhabitants if you include the suburbs. So far, I've only seen it by night, but it beautifully situated in a large valley.

Jesko met me at the airport; it was nice to see a familiar face after having traveled alone up 'til now. We took a bus, then a cab to get to his apartment.  A note about drivers here; they drive with reckless abandon and you can forget about seatbelts.  We made it out alive though, and the first thing we do once we wake it to the curb?  Get street food!  Diced hot dogs with fries and about five different sauces, and two little eggs the size of ping pong balls on top.  I felt like Anthony Bourdain

From Spain to Colombia.  That completes my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment