Jesko and I were taking a walk tonight after watching an outdoor movie. It wasn't late but it gets dark here at 18h. We were waiting to cross the street and a motorcycle drove by and stopped in front. There were two men; a driver and a passenger who yelled something and reached out and grabbed my neck. This all happend in an instant but I stepped back and Jesko jumped in between us. They drove off, taking my necklace with them. It's ironic, the pendant on my necklace was St. Christopher, the patron saint of safe travels. In a way, I think it did keep me safe. It could've been much worse and I'm lucky to walk away with just a scratch.
This doesn't change how I feel about Colombia. Robberies can happen anywhere. I'm determined not to let this weigh down on me or my trip.
I am safe - probably safer now that I don't have the necklace anymore - we turned around and walked straight home. I took a cold shower, and now we are listening to relaxing music. Tomorrow is a new day, we're waking up early to go to another scenic spot. It'll be nice to get away from the city scene for awhile.
No comments:
Post a Comment